Guinea pigs, also known as cavies, are friendly and curious animals. But, they require commitment and attention that is regular ensure they remain healthy and pleased. Continue reading to discover simple tips to take care of your pocketful of sunlight.
Guinea pigs are sociable pocket animals, are often tamed, and will live for as much as 10 years. Their nature that is friendly makes great animals. They’re also really smart.
Guinea pigs are happiest whenever kept along with other guinea pigs. Nonetheless, should you keep men and women together, be sure both pets would be the sex that is same at least one sex happens to be desexed.
RSPCA NSW doesn’t suggest guinea that is keeping and rabbits together. Rabbits can spread conditions to guinea pigs, in addition they may bully one another.
Guinea pigs are herbivores. To help keep them happy and healthy, they require:
- a continuing source of high quality lawn that is fresh lawn hay, such as for instance Meadow, Oaten, Pasture, Ryegrass, Timothy or Wheaten hays. This is really important for using straight down their constantly growing teeth.
- fresh, leafy greens and natural natural herbs every single day, such as for instance broccoli, cabbage (in lower amounts), celery, endives, Brussel sprouts, bok choy as well as other Asian greens, and dark-leafed lettuce varieties; and natural natural herbs such as for example basil, coriander, dandelion, dill, mint and parsley. Understand that carrot tops should simply be provided being a periodic treat.
- little degrees of top-quality guinea pig pellets. These need to have at least content that is fibre of %.
- an everyday supply of supplement C, such as https://www.singlebrides.net/ukrainian-brides for example smaller amounts of citrus and kiwi fruits
- a continuing supply of clean, fresh water
Try not to feed your guinea pig:
- morning meal cereals
- Clover or Lucerne (Alfalfa) hays
- yard bushes
- lily regarding the valley
- pea nuts
- onion lawn
- potato tops
- natural beans
- rhubarb leaves
- spinich leaves
Guinea pigs require a lot of room to work out – the more the better. She should work out each day in a big, grassy area, free and safe from predators.
You might like to offer your guinea pig with a chewing log made of untreated timber to wear straight down her teeth, and overturned containers to cover in.
Everyday grooming is vital for long-haired guinea pigs, and guarantees their coats stay static in good shape. Regular management will help build her also self- self- confidence, and encourage her in order to become friendly and sociable.
It’s also advisable to check out the duration of your guinea pig’s teeth and toenails. When they are too much time, get the veterinarian to trim them.
Good cleansing and feeding methods helps avoid many health that is common, including breathing infections and epidermis dilemmas.
It is vital to pay for your guinea pig’s hutch by having a flyscreen. Carrying this out, in addition to maintaining her hutch clean, can help prevent flystrike. Long-haired guinea pigs are especially prone to this disorder, that can be deadly.
Guinea pigs, similar to animals, may also be prone to fleas. Get hold of your veterinarian about a flea that is appropriate if required. They could additionally suffer with mite infestations, that could cause disquiet, hair loss and itchiness.
If for example the guinea pig develops bald batches, this may be a indication of the fungal condition ringworm, therefore look for assistance from a veterinarian instantly.
To learn more about typical health conditions, click.
Your guinea pig’s enclosure must be a minumum of one metre by 0.7 metres, and 0.7 metres high. For those who have two guinea pigs, they will certainly require twice this room. They’ll likewise require their particular, separate resting areas, which needs to be covered. You need to fly-proof the enclosure using flyscreen cable or mosquito netting, since this may help lessen the danger of flystrike.
Line the hutch with newsprint and grass that is soft to give you padding and stop foot accidents. Don’t use sawdust, wood or straw shavings. Keep in mind that your guinea pig requires a soft, clean, dry surface all the time, or she will quickly develop base issues. Clean her enclosure that is entire regularly and her bedding whenever required – often when just about every day.
Keep consitently the hutch in a sheltered area that is well ventilated, between 18-26°C, and kept away from sunlight and strong winds. She should always gain access to sufficient color.
Click the link to learn more about preventing heatstroke.